Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ostrich Leather


Dear Dame Wotta Tripp,
On my seventh birthday, now many years ago, I was given my first ostrich. A few weeks earlier, when at a zoo, I had evinced great interest (in the enthusiasm of the moment) when I saw a group of them in a pen. From then on it just grew.
I became known as Ostrich Olga, the girl who loved ostriches. By the time Christmas arrived my interest in the bird had begun to diminish, but nevertheless a well-intentioned relative presented me with a second ostrich and I was too shy to tell everyone that I was now not so interested in them.
We lived on a farm in the Transvaal, so accommodating the ostriches was no problem, but by the time I had been given a third bird for my eighth birthday the first two ostriches had produced offspring. I never gained sufficient courage to confess that my interest in ostriches had ended, and now, at age seventy- three, I have one thousand, seven hundred and ninety-three of these amazing birds.
People from all over the world visit the farm and their donations, together with the sale of ostrich feathers, has provided a good income, but I have begun to resent the birds and am considering changing the operation to ostrich-meat production, since there is now a considerable demand for their flesh. I feel there is a moral dilemma here, and am not entirely comfortable with this idea. May I ask you to allow your readers, through your platform, to add their advice to yours, to enable me to reach a sound decision on this envisaged change?
Sincerely,
Olga Van Maas


Dear Olga,
What a bottomless pit of regret you must be feeling if you have spent you life caring for creatures you have little emotional feeling for. Poor birds!

This is what occurs when a person has insufficient self-esteem to be honest, for fear of letting down the people who care for them. Such is the destiny of one brought up to please those around them, a common fate for a girl, especially almost three-quarters of a century ago.

You and the ostriches probably never stood a chance.

I’d lay odds that you have never had any of the children you once dreamed of, what with managing irrigation and all the other countless chores.

If you do farm them for meat, remember that the leather is also becoming very popular now due to its unique texture and it can be made available in any color or shade.
Ostrich leather undergarments, perhaps feathered for special occasions, might be one option.

May I also suggest hernia support items, waistcoats, hats, golf wear and ball-gags?

Personally I do not condone using animals in this way, but I must remain impartial.

Naturally I see your dilemma and will be happy to ask my readers for their input. I think a poll will be in order here. Please go to the bottom of the page and give Olga your opinion. Thank You!

Help is on the way –
Wotta Tripp

No comments: