Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dame Wotta Tripp Is Too Late!

To My Dear Readers:
Wotta Tripp is too late!

Alas, as happens from time to time, I was unable to help a poor soul who turned to me! How I struggle with my regrets! How I hope you will all forgive me!
About ten days ago I received a most bewildering letter. I usually answer my cries for succor in the order I receive them. The letter was puzzling but did not at the time seem urgent. I present it to you below unchanged, exactly as I received it so you may consider it:

Dear Dame Wotta Tripp,
I am an old man now, and all my life I have been looking for Artur Strump, but without success. I suppose it has been a bit of an odd session, or whatever they call it, but I knew my life would not be complete until I had met him. I don't know anything about him. I never heard about him, or anything like that, but his name came into my mind when I was a wee lad and I knew I had to meet him to make my life complete. I have searched all over the country, covering it bit by bit and will be setting out searching again on Tuesday. If I find anything I will let you know.

Henry Hatter.


My usual procedure each day is to put out the letters I intend to answer and today was no different. Amongst the day’s good deeds I had to attend to was the letter from Henry Hatter which I had already pondered considerably. Before answering the selected letters I read the new mail of the day.

My powers did indeed fail me (just this once), and I am bowed down with guilt.
Imagine my shock when I then received the following letter:

Dear Dame Wotta Tripp,
I felt I should let you know about my Dad, Henry, as I know he wrote to you about his problem.
He went away for a few days last Tuesday and on Wednesday a police officer called to say he was sorry, but my Dad was no more. I was surprised and asked him, “no more what”? Then he explained that Dad was walking along a country road when he was struck and killed by a hearse driven by a Mr. Artur Strump. Mr. Strump was very upset, but has promised to give dad a free funeral. It's a funny old world, isn't it?
Yours ever,
Alice Osborne


My sympathy and deep regrets go out to this shattered family!
All donations for the family can be sent to the
‘HATTER FUND’ c/o Dame Wotta Tripp. Thank You.

No comments: